Defending Inerrancy – “Standing up for the Bible before it’s too late”; see Billy Graham quote below:
“The Bible has stood the test of time because it is divinely inspired by Almighty God, written in ink that cannot be erased by any man, religion, or belief system. Through the many dark ages of man, its glorious promises have survived unchanged. That is because God’s Word is pure—the beginning and the end. His written word has survived every scratch of the human pen.”Billy Graham, Evangelist
God reveals Himself and His plan through the Bible. His Word teaches us:
- who He is: His attributes – amazing love, holiness, justice, patience, mercy, grace, wisdom, power, sovereignty, majesty, faithfulness, all-knowing, not confined by time or space, and more than the finite mind can possibly fully understand.
“As for God, His way is perfect: The LORD’s word is flawless; He shields all who take refuge in Him.”Psalm 18:30
“And the heavens proclaim His righteousness, for He is a God of justice.”Psalm 50:6
“Our God is a God who saves; from the Sovereign LORD comes escape from death.”Psalm 68:19-2
- who we are – humans made in the image of God, but beginning with the disobedience of Adam and Eve, are sinful beings who desperately need a Savior in order to be reconciled to our holy and just Creator.
“All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”Romans 3:23
“For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”Romans 6:23
- how God has worked throughout human history to bring the free gift of salvation through Jesus Christ to all who will believe.
“For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him would not perish but have eternal life.”John 3:16
“You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since we have now been justified by His blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through Him!”Romans 5:6-9
- what is true so we will not be deceived.
“Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings. And the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will Himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To Him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.”2 Peter 5:6-11
- that we exist to bring God the glory He deserves as He empowers us to tell others about their Creator and Savior, Jesus Christ.
“Then Jesus came to them and said, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age’.”Matthew 28:18-20
- that there’s a reason for the suffering and evil we see, that God created a perfect world, and will restore what was broken by sin.
“I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, ‘Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and He will dwell with them. They will be His people, and God Himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.’ He said to me: ‘It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children’.”Revelation 21:2-7